US President Donald Trump has warned that countries providing financial or economic support to Iran will face “tremendous economic consequences” as Washington intensifies pressure on Tehran.
Trump said the US was launching what he described as an unprecedented campaign of economic warfare and isolation against Iran.
“Any country” allowing its financial institutions, businesses, airports or government bodies to provide support to Iran would face severe economic repercussions, he said in a post on Truth Social.
Trump did not specify the measures that could be imposed, but called for an end to activities including oil smuggling, cash transfers, exchange-house operations, ship registrations and the use of front companies.
The announcement comes as the conflict approaches its sixth month, with diplomatic efforts stalled and shipping through the strategically important Strait of Hormuz significantly disrupted.
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent had earlier warned that Washington would intensify efforts to economically isolate Iran alongside a proposed naval blockade. The US Treasury has also been pursuing sanctions under its “Operation Economic Fury” campaign aimed at restricting Iranian funding.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi rejected the US pressure campaign, saying further economic measures would fail and accusing Washington of threatening the global economy.
The conflict began on February 28 following US and Israeli strikes on Iran, which responded with missile and drone attacks across the region. The fighting has severely affected maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, a key global oil shipping route.
Meanwhile, the United Arab Emirates has suspended economic dealings with Iran after reporting ballistic missile attacks, further increasing pressure on Tehran.
Trump has urged US allies to join Washington in isolating Iran, saying the objective was to counter what he called the Iranian threat.