Iran has warned Middle Eastern countries against providing assistance or logistical support to the United States, as tensions continue to escalate around the Strait of Hormuz.
Despite a recent reduction in direct hostilities between Washington and Tehran, attacks on commercial vessels in and around the strategic waterway have continued.
Efforts to reach a US-Iran agreement aimed at reopening the vital trade route have stalled. Although both sides recently indicated that messages were being exchanged, US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that talks were no longer underway.
Iranian Armed Forces Chief of Staff Ali Abdollahi warned on Wednesday that any country facilitating US military operations would be considered involved in the conflict.
He said Gulf states should be aware that Tehran was monitoring the presence of US military aircraft, particularly refuelling planes, at regional bases.
Reports have suggested that Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait and Bahrain carried out strikes against targets in Iran in response to attacks on Gulf states, although the countries have largely denied the reports.
The UAE announced on Tuesday that it had suspended all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran until further notice, citing escalating regional tensions.
The announcement followed Abu Dhabi’s claim that Iran had launched two ballistic missiles towards the UAE. Emirati authorities later said the missiles had targeted shipping.
Despite their political differences, the UAE and Iran share close historical and cultural ties, while the UAE has traditionally been a major trading partner for Iran.
The UAE had already recalled its ambassador from Tehran and closed Iran-linked schools and a hospital following the outbreak of the conflict.