Italian tennis star Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the US Open due to a right knee injury, ending hopes of defending his title at the hard-court Grand Slam.
Sinner said he had made the “difficult decision” to skip the tournament after returning to training in Monte Carlo and realising he needed more time to recover.
The 24-year-old has not competed since winning Wimbledon on July 12 and had already withdrawn from warm-up events in Cincinnati and Montreal.
Sinner, who won the US Open in 2024 and finished runner-up to Carlos Alcaraz last year, said he was “sad and disappointed” to miss the New York tournament.
He will remain in Europe to continue his rehabilitation, with the aim of returning during the Asian swing and competing in Beijing and Shanghai.
Sinner had enjoyed an outstanding 2026 season, recording 44 wins against just three defeats and claiming six titles, including Wimbledon. However, he suffered an early exit at the French Open, losing in the second round.
Meanwhile, Alcaraz announced on Thursday that he would return at the US Open after missing more than four months due to a wrist injury.