Shakib unlikely to return to Bangladesh team, says official

Shakib unlikely to return to Bangladesh team, says official

Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan has said he is willing to return to the country, face legal proceedings and play a farewell series if the government guarantees his safety.

Shakib, who has been living in the United States since former prime minister Sheikh Hasina’s government was ousted two years ago, said he was prepared to face the charges against him, including allegations linked to the deaths of protesters.

“If I get clearance from the government that my security will be ensured, I am happy to go back, face the court trial and everything that’s needed to be done,” Shakib said by phone from Sri Lanka, where he is currently playing franchise cricket.

The 39-year-old cricketer said he believed he had done nothing wrong and wanted an opportunity to clear his name.

Shakib, a former lawmaker from Hasina’s Awami League, joined the former premier’s media event in New Delhi by telephone on Wednesday. His participation drew criticism in Bangladesh, with Youth and Sports Minister Aminul Haque saying the government would no longer take a flexible approach towards the cricketer.

“We had been looking at the matter with considerable flexibility and tolerance. After this, I do not think there is any room to think that way anymore,” Haque said.

He added that Shakib’s appearance alongside Hasina meant there was no opportunity for him to return to Bangladesh at present.

Shakib is Bangladesh’s most successful cricketer and has represented the country in more than 400 international matches, including five World Cups.

He became one of dozens of people named in murder investigations following the deadly crackdown on student-led protests that led to Hasina’s removal from power on Aug 5, 2024.

Hasina has since been convicted in absentia by a Dhaka court and sentenced to death over crimes against humanity. She remains in India.

Shakib announced his retirement plans in September 2024 but later said he wanted to play a full series before ending his international career. The Bangladesh Cricket Board said in January that he could return to the team, but his recent appearance at the Delhi event has complicated those plans.

The cricketer said he wanted to return home immediately but, if that was not possible, hoped to return alongside Hasina.

Shakib also defended his participation in the Delhi event, saying he had only called for peace and did not regret appearing remotely. He said he had previously contacted Bangladesh’s interior, law and sports ministries, as well as the police, through a lawyer to seek the withdrawal of what he described as fabricated charges, but received no response.

Shakib said he had attempted to return to Bangladesh in late 2024 after receiving assurances from the interim government that adequate security would be provided.

According to Shakib, he boarded a flight home and contacted officials from the airport lounge to confirm his journey. However, while the flight was underway, he was instructed to turn back.

He subsequently landed in Dubai before returning to New York, where he lives with his wife and three children.

Shakib said the return plan had been arranged several days in advance and that he did not know why the decision changed within hours.

A subsequent attempt to return also fell through after he published a birthday message for Hasina on social media.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *