Bangladesh and India are holding talks to resolve a dispute that has delayed their six-match white-ball series, comprising three ODIs and three T20s.
The series was originally scheduled for August last year but was postponed amid worsening political relations between the two countries.
Bangladesh Sports Minister Aminul Haque said on Monday that the matter was being discussed at the ministerial level, with foreign ministers from both sides involved in ongoing negotiations.
Relations between Dhaka and New Delhi have deteriorated since Bangladesh’s 2024 mass uprising ousted former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, who fled to India and remains there.
Tensions also affected cricket. In February, Bangladesh declined to send a team to India for the T20 World Cup, citing security concerns. The International Cricket Council rejected Dhaka’s request to relocate its matches to Sri Lanka, with Scotland eventually replacing Bangladesh in the tournament.
Haque said Bangladesh was hopeful of resolving the deadlock soon and allowing the cricket schedule to move forward.
India last toured Bangladesh in 2022, winning the two-Test series 2-0, while Bangladesh claimed the ODI series 2-1. Bangladesh’s most recent tour of India, in September-October 2024, ended with India completing 2-0 victories in both the Test and T20 series.