Students and unemployed young people in India’s Jharkhand state have been protesting since late July over alleged irregularities in the recruitment process, including examination paper leaks.
The demonstrations come amid wider youth protests in India over alleged corruption in the education and examination system, limited employment opportunities and unemployment. Weeks of protests in New Delhi last month over similar allegations contributed to the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.
Protesters in Jharkhand are demanding reforms to the state examination system, cancellation of certain tests and a federal investigation into alleged irregularities.
At least six protesters, including student leader Devendra Nath Mahto, were reported to be on hunger strike. Mahto, 33, has been fasting for more than a week and called for an overhaul of the recruitment system and an end to the use of a private company to conduct state civil service examinations.
The protests began on July 25 and intensified after thousands of demonstrators gathered at a stadium in state capital Ranchi. On Monday, protesters marched towards the state legislature, crossing police barricades while carrying placards and national flags and chanting slogans.
Television footage showed some protesters pushing against barricades and clashing with police. Authorities responded with tear gas, water cannon and batons.
Ranchi city police chief Paras Rana said officers used “minimal aggression” after some protesters became violent, while urging demonstrators to remain peaceful.
The Jharkhand government, which is led by a regional party opposed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has held talks with the protesters. It said most of their demands had been accepted and that it remained willing to negotiate further.