Eight members of the Pakistan Bar Council (PBC) have accused the government of deliberately disregarding the Supreme Court’s order directing the transfer of PTI founder Imran Khan to a private hospital for treatment.
In a statement, the members said the SC order was “clear, unequivocal and binding” and that the executive had no authority to refuse compliance. They described the alleged non-compliance as a serious challenge to judicial authority, the rule of law and constitutional governance.
The signatories included PTI Secretary General Salman Akram Raja, Abid Shahid Zuberi, Maqsood Buttar, Shafqat Mehmood Chauhan, Munir Ahmed Kakar, Abdul Sattar Khan, Salahuddin Ahmed and Qazi Muhammad Arshad.
They said filing a review petition did not suspend the SC order or allow the government to disregard it. The members called for those responsible for the alleged violation to be identified and legal proceedings to be initiated against them.
They also argued that no constitutional amendment, political consideration or executive decision could place the government above a binding judicial order.
The members further questioned whether constitutional protections relating to life, health, dignity and access to medical treatment were being applied selectively, citing the medical treatment previously allowed to former prime minister Nawaz Sharif abroad.
Meanwhile, PBC Vice Chairman Pir Muhammad Masood Chistie said the statement represented the personal views of eight members and did not reflect the council’s collective position.
He said the PBC should remain above political interests and personal agendas and strongly condemned the statement issued by the eight members, as well as a similar statement by the Lahore High Court Bar Association.
The Supreme Court had on Aug 18 ordered the government to shift Imran to Shifa International Hospital within two days for examination and treatment by a multidisciplinary medical board. It also directed that his sister, Dr Uzma Khan, and personal physician, Dr Faisal Sultan, be present during the examination.
The government subsequently filed a review petition against the order, which was returned by the SC over procedural objections.
Despite preparations at Shifa International Hospital, Imran was instead taken to PIMS for a medical check-up before being returned to prison.
Information Minister Attaullah Tarar attributed the change in plan to security concerns caused by PTI workers, saying Imran was examined by a team of doctors and declared medically fit.
The government has also filed a fresh review petition challenging the SC’s Aug 18 order, with the Islamabad chief commissioner arguing that the directive adversely affected his office’s constitutional authority.