US President Donald Trump has denied that talks with Iran are currently taking place or scheduled, as tensions over the strategically important Strait of Hormuz continue to escalate.
Trump on Tuesday posted a map on his Truth Social platform depicting the Strait of Hormuz as “new US territory”, while insisting that the US naval blockade remained in force. He also claimed the waterway was open and that mines had been cleared.
The remarks came a day after Trump’s envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner said Washington and Tehran were engaged in “very positive and active conversations”.
Iran, meanwhile, reiterated that it would not reopen the Strait of Hormuz until the United States meets its demands, including lifting the naval blockade, removing oil sanctions, unfreezing Iranian assets and paying war-related damages.
Iranian negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said Tehran would keep the strategic waterway closed until Washington implements its commitments under a proposed agreement.
Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi claimed the US was now seeking negotiations on Iran’s terms, saying Tehran had forced Washington to accept its conditions.
Qatar, which has been mediating between the two sides, said an agreement between Iran and Oman over the Strait of Hormuz could help revive stalled US-Iran negotiations.
The standoff has raised concerns over global energy supplies as the Strait of Hormuz is a major route for international oil shipments.
The United Arab Emirates said its air defences detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran towards its territory. According to the UAE Defence Ministry, one missile fell outside the country’s territorial waters while the other landed within them.
The UAE had earlier issued a brief alert warning residents of a potential missile threat.
Meanwhile, Yemen’s Houthi group claimed responsibility for a drone attack targeting an Aramco refinery in Jazan, southern Saudi Arabia.
Houthi media said the attack was carried out in response to alleged violations of Yemeni airspace.
Separately, the UK Maritime Trade Operations agency said a vessel was struck by an unidentified projectile while sailing out of the Strait of Hormuz, causing damage to its engine room and injuring one crew member. The vessel was later identified by maritime security sources as the Liberia-flagged bulk carrier Minoan Dignity.