Pakistanis Injured in Houthi Red Sea Attack Return Safely, Dar Says

Pakistanis Injured in Houthi Red Sea Attack Return Safely, Dar Says

Six Pakistani sailors injured in a Houthi attack on a Tanzania-flagged commercial vessel in the Red Sea have safely returned to Pakistan, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said on Thursday.

In a post on X, Dar said the bodies of two Pakistani sailors who died in the attack had also been repatriated.

“All relevant stakeholders have been directed to ensure their safe, dignified and expeditious repatriation,” Dar said.

He appreciated the efforts of the Consulate General of Pakistan in Jeddah and the Pakistani Embassy in Riyadh for facilitating the repatriation from Yemen, where Pakistan does not have a diplomatic mission.

Dar also praised the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Ministry for their cooperation, particularly in providing medical assistance and making arrangements for the injured sailors in Jeddah.

The foreign minister reiterated Pakistan’s condemnation of the attack and stressed that the safety and security of seafarers must be ensured at all times.

“We remain committed to extending all possible assistance to the injured sailors and the bereaved families,” he said.

The August 11 attack targeted the Tanzania-flagged vessel Tihamah, resulting in deaths and injuries among its crew. Yemen’s coastguard said the initial strike caused a fire and extensive damage to the vessel, while a second attack occurred as rescue teams were attempting to evacuate the crew.

A Houthi-linked media outlet later claimed that the group had also targeted another vessel in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, alleging that it was carrying Saudi military equipment.

The attacks were among the latest incidents involving commercial shipping in and around the entrance to the Red Sea following the Houthis’ announcement of a naval blockade of Saudi Arabia.

Pakistan had previously condemned Houthi threats against Saudi Arabia and maritime trade through the Red Sea. Islamabad had warned that any attack on its maritime interests would be considered a “red line” and could trigger a response in self-defence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *