US President Donald Trump has called for a reduction in joint military exercises with South Korea, saying the drills were costly and sent an “inappropriate and hostile” message to North Korea.
Writing on his Truth Social platform shortly before the exercises began, Trump said it was too late to cancel the drills but expressed dissatisfaction with Washington’s decision to participate. He also cited his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are scheduled from Aug 17 to 27, with around 18,000 South Korean troops taking part. The drills are designed to strengthen responses to North Korea’s evolving military capabilities, including drone operations, GPS disruptions and cyberattacks.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed that the exercises began as scheduled on Monday.
The South Korean presidential Blue House said it was reviewing Trump’s remarks and expressed hope that improved US-North Korea relations could create opportunities for meaningful dialogue.
It added that Seoul would continue consultations with Washington on military cooperation, including matters related to the Strait of Hormuz and future joint exercises.
Trump has previously criticised US-South Korean military exercises as expensive and provocative. During his first presidency, he also clashed with Seoul over the cost of maintaining around 28,500 US troops in South Korea.
North Korea has routinely condemned the exercises, describing them as preparations for an invasion. Pyongyang recently conducted ballistic missile launches, including one last Wednesday towards the Sea of Japan.
Analysts said Trump’s latest remarks could be part of an effort to reopen diplomatic engagement with Kim, although the abrupt announcement may have limited impact in Pyongyang.
Trump and Kim have held three summits in the past, but their diplomatic efforts failed to produce an agreement over North Korea’s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programmes.
Trump also criticised Seoul for declining to join US efforts aimed at the “denuclearization” of Iran, linking South Korea’s position to the broader US-Israeli conflict with Tehran.
It remains unclear how the exercises could be scaled back. In recent years, Ulchi Freedom Shield has increasingly relied on computer simulations rather than large-scale live-fire activities.
US military officials have also warned that North Korean forces have gained battlefield experience while fighting alongside Russian troops in Ukraine, particularly in the use of drones, electronic warfare and cyber operations.
A senior US military official recently warned that North Korea had successfully tested intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of potentially carrying nuclear warheads to targets across North America.